4.0_STABLE soft reboot hangs on PowerEdge 2550

I've been helping a friend set up a Dell PowerEdge 2550 system.  I first
installed 4.0_RELEASE and then noticed that on the first reboot after
installation it would hang here:

cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0: <TEAC CD-ROM CD-224E, , 3.7D> cdrom removable
cd0: 32-bit data port
cd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 2 (Ultra/33)
cd0(rccide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 2 (Ultra/33)
(using DMA)

The machine was completely unresponsive and the only remedy was to
power-cycle it.  It then booted fully and worked OK.  See

for the complete dmesg output.

Following several experiments it was clear that rebooting the machine
from software, for any reason (even following BIOS config examination
immediately after power-up) would prevent the kernel from booting,
hanging in the same place every time.  It would always boot completely
from uninterrupted power-on/power-cycle.

Searching the archives, we found the following references that seemed to
describe exactly the same thing we were now seeing with 4.0_RELEASE and
later, 4.0_STABLE.

and so on.  It seems no conclusion was reached.

Another 2550 running NetBSD 3.1_RELEASE has no problem with soft
reboots.  For 4.0, I found that if I disabled support for IDE disks

    #wd* at atabus?

(it has none, only a CD-ROM drive), it would now boot completely
following a soft reset.  A custom kernel config can be found at:

Now that I have the machine working, it will probably not be available
for any testing, but perhaps this will point to what may be a problem
for others?

John D. Baker, KN5UKS                    NetBSD     Darwin/MacOS X
jdbaker(at)mylinuxisp(dot)com                 OpenBSD            FreeBSD
BSD -- It just sits there and _works_!
GPG fingerprint:  D703 4A7E 479F 63F8 D3F4  BD99 9572 8F23 E4AD 1645