Re: wpi0 going offline frequently

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> On a Thinkpad T61 running amd64-current (right now, 4.99.53, but this
> has been going on for a while), wpi0 will frequently go offline after a
>
>       wpi0: fatal firmware error
>
> message.   This almost always happens when I start X, perhaps because
> of interrupts being masked.  It happened just now in this sequence:
>
> Feb 18 01:16:41 yellowstone /netbsd: pckbport: command timeout
> Feb 18 01:16:41 yellowstone /netbsd: wpi0: fatal firmware error
> Feb 18 01:16:41 yellowstone /netbsd: pms_disable: command error
>
> The machine froze for ~30 seconds -- I thought it had crashed -- but
> came back, except for wpi0.
>
> The most annoying time this happens, though, is when I'm on a public
> net.  I don't know if it's the presence of multiple access points, too
> much traffic, or what.  This, I should add, is on nets without WEP or
> WPA.
>
> Whenever this happens, ifconfig shows the RUNNING bit off for wpi0.  A
> simple 'ifconfig wpi0 up' solves it.  (I'd put that into an ifwatchd
> script, except that it isn't receiving interface-Down events for this;
> see another post on that problem.)
>
> I have a few questions...
>
> First -- is anyone else seeing this?
>
> Second -- is this a firmware bug or a driver bug?  (I have the latest
> firmware package.)
>
> Third -- is it possible for the driver to recover and automatically
> reload/restart the firmware?
>
>               --Steve Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

Hi,

I use wpi0 and it works almost perfectly... Nowadays, i need to work using
wireless conection and my 'top' shows 3 days 10 hours; and i haven't
restarted network and dhclient untill now.

Sometimes but rarely, whenever download speed reaches 100 KB/s, connection
drops but i'm not sure this is because of ADSL modem or wpi0.

I use 4.99.51, and modular Xorg btw.

Regards,
Cem

-----