Re: wi-driver and wpa_supplicant

David Young wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 11:13:17PM +0100, sainio%t-online.de@localhost wrote:
>> Pierre Pronchery wrote:

>> > Just in case, prism2 cards only support 802.11b. Are you sure the
>> > access point you're trying to reach is not set to 802.11a or more
>> > likely, 802.11g only?
>> >
>> > HTH,
>> Good point, but unfortunately it runs in mixed mode and I already tested
>> the card with a linux laptop next to my netbsd box. I also flashed higher
>> version of the FW (1.7.4) as I have not been found a way to download fw
>> to the card while running netbsd. Linux-side has prism2.. - tools
>> I think I will try next by setting up a simple hostapd AP with some
>> debugging and simple encryption, Let's see if it can be seen with
>> wi-driver scanning.
>
> I thought that older firmware (1.3.x, 1.4.x) was not compatible with WPA
> at all, especially if you use the card as a client instead of an AP.
> I am also under the impression that the very latest firmware is not
> compatible with the old.  I could be wrong on both counts.

AFAIK, true in both counts.. I use 1.7.4 firmware with wpa_supplicant on
Linux and I have seen some discussion about 1.8.4 and it having some
problems. Lower version like 1.[3,4].x did not work either.

> I don't think that you will get WPA to work with any level of firmware
> without modifying wi(4).

Hmmm, but I think that it does not depend on FW-level as I have already a
working solution == FW 1.74 and wpa_supplicant 0.4.8 on linux platform.
Now the "man wpa_supplicant" in NetBSD refers to following drivers: ath(4),
ipw(4), iwi(4), ral(4), wi(4) and I think this is somewhat misleading as I,
at least, expected wi-driver to work with wpa_supplicant and being able to
do more than just a simple WEP-based connection.
I guess you are right saying that wi-driver needs some modification...

> Dave

Risto