Re: Workaround for Firefox crashiness

On Wednesday 30 January 2008, Jared D. McNeill wrote:
> Heyas folks --
> Basically, firefox runs out of file descriptors and freaks out. Maybe
> it's a side effect of having lots of fonts installing from pkgsrc, I'm
> not sure. In any case, bumping openfiles before launching firefox has
> made the problem disappear for me.

For me, Firefox will hang my computer within a minute of starting browsing.  I
suspect this problem too is caused by file activity.  In my case it's likely
an LFS bug as my /usr and /home partitions are LFS (root and /var are
standard FFS).  My kernel is from 2 Jan (pre vmlocking2 merge).  I've been
holding off upgrading because of the ominous sounding kern/37668. If it would
be considered useful, I could try to track down how the hang occurs (I
finally got a serial console setup working).

Sverre