Re: Color support for wsfb/Amiga

Izumi Tsutsui wrote Sun, 26 Jun 2022 15:53:49 +0900:

> Just FYI, ancient XFree86 driver seems to have "iplan2p2", "iplan2p4",
> and "iplan2p8" drivers (but I have not investigated them yet):
> http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/xsrc/xfree/xc/programs/Xserver/iplan2p4/Attic/

I suppose those are the "native" planar mode drivers.

> Random comments:
>
> - as rin@ said, it's safer to leave WSDISPLAYIO_GTYPE not mandatory,
>   (i.e. not treat errors as fatal) especially if WSDISPLAYIO_GET_FBINFO
>   is available for newer drivers
>  - we don't have well-defined ioctl specifications so we should not rely
>    on implicit expectations

Ok then, I've updated the patch to just log an warning if WSDISPLAYIO_GTYPE fails.

> - I wonder if we should consider about "len" for mmap in WsfbScreenInit()?
>   fPtr->fbi.fbi_fbsize is enough?  What about fPtr->fbmem_len?

In case of Amiga fbi_fbsize is correct, and fbmem_len is derived from it.

> - As commented in WsfbScreenInit(), shadowFB is not supported
>   on depth < 8, so I wonder we should bother to check bitsPerPixel
>   (I doubt there could be >8bpp planar)

For length calculation? Yes, seems safe to assume exactly 8bpp there.

> - wonder what "Afb" stands for, even in Xorg
>   (eventually we could have Afb4, for luna68k and atari etc.?)

I don't think it has any particular meaning beyond being the
identifier for Amiga planar mode routines in Xorg.

Atari seems to have separate routines:
https://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2013-March/035831.html

--jukka