Re: Nonfree fonts in xsrc

On Mon, Oct 05, 2020 at 08:51:21AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

> nia <nia%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:
>
> >> While it could be a fair question as to whether any particular bits
> >> should be removed, I don't think it should strictly be about license, at
> >> least for things where verbatim copying and use are fine, and we don't
> >> have examples of angst from people wanting to make changes.
> >
> > The device firmware isn't in "external/mit".
>
> So are you proposing to move it, or to delete it?

Is moving the "font software" worthwhile?

It was my assumption that NetBSD is fully modifiable by default
with exceptions for good reasons.

The device firmware comparison doesn't make sense to me because
device firmware is required for the OS to actually talk to devices
and work properly, and the device firmware is also isolated into
directories like 'external/broadcom'. These pieces of "font software"
aren't required for X to work properly, and are incorrectly labelled as
being MIT licensed so aren't isolated to the correct license directory.

I guess a better question is whether anyone is going to miss a few
Type1 fonts that are installable from pkgsrc. We'd like to import some
larger BDF fonts and scalable TTF fonts that are BSD/apache2 licensed and
have better support for modern rendering features and unicode areas.
Getting rid of these would free up some space for that.