Re: Where does 8.0/amd64's X server get resolution from?

On Wed, May 06, 2020 at 04:16:24PM -0400, Mouse wrote:
> >> So I guess that's "maybe it should work - I don't know - but it
> >> doesn't".
> > Could do You try a display section with explicit driver, i.e.:
>
> > Section "Device"
> >     Identifier    "Configured Video Device"
> >     Driver "vesa"
> > EndSection
>
> > ?
>
> Well, it doesn't segfault.  But it also doesn't work:
>
> (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
> vesa: Ignoring device with a bound kernel driver
> (EE)
> Fatal server error:
> (EE) no screens found(EE)
>
> and the server doesn't actually start.

 OK. Then we should make it by the book ;) Last time I did it about
a decade ago and forgot a pattern.

1. run Xorg -configure (preferably as root)
   it should create xorg.conf.new in current directory

2. edit it - in 'Section "Screen"' replace all Subsections "Display"
   by one:

   SubSection "Display"
       Depth     24
       Modes     "1280x1024"
   EndSubSection

3. Check "Device" Section, maybe a valid driver already was detected?

4. Copy new config to /etc/X11/xorg.conf a try again.

In past that pattern work for me for plenty of strange setups, even
with multiple cards from different vendors assembled into multi-
monitors setups.

BTW: is there something interesting in dmesg about current video
device?

Regards,
--
Piotr 'aniou' Meyer