Re: Radeondrm w/RV370 / X300 SE on 7.0_BETA -- working?

>>> I think there were some locking changes made by riastradh@ to the new
>>> radeon drm driver after Sep 17, is there a newer kernel you can try?
>>
>>I can always make one.  Which branch should I try?  -current or -7?
>
> The locking changes are only for a DRMKMS kernel, maybe look at whatever
> is wrong with twa(4) first.

Well, I decided to do things in a slightly different order...
I first took out the twa card, and tried the DRMKMS kernel with
the Intel 965G graphics.  That worked about as well as before,
i.e. not at all -- I hit a kernel trap, and trying to access the
location %rip pointed to from DDB also caused a trap.

I then tried to change some of the BIOS settings related to the
graphics, but didn't find anything which enabled shared graphics
memory.

What I did notice, though, is that I also got spontaneous reboots
when trying to reboot with the GENERIC kernel.  I went back to
BIOS and loaded default settings, and made the changes I usually
do on this board (memory remapping on, boot device order etc.),
and at least it's up and running now again.

What I did notice was that the spontaneous reboots mostly come
during this phase of autoconf:

uhub6 at usb6: vendor 0x8086 EHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 1
ehci1: handing over low speed device on port 5 to uhci4
ehci1: handing over full speed device on port 6 to uhci4
ehci1: handing over full speed device on port 6 to uhci4
uhub5: device problem, disabling port 1
ehci1: handing over full speed device on port 6 to uhci4

Some of the latter lines take quite a while to appear -- either
that or it takes a long time between the last one of these and
the following

atapibus0 at atabus5: 2 targets
cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0: <ATAPI   iHAS324   E, 3524679 27841650145, 4L16> cdrom removable
cd0: 32-bit data port
cd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 5 (Ultra/100)
cd0(piixide1:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 5 (Ultra/100) (using DMA)
wd0 at atabus6 drive 0
wd0: <WDC WD1200JS-00NCB1>
wd0: drive supports 16-sector PIO transfers, LBA48 addressing
wd0: 111 GB, 232581 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 234441648 sectors
wd0: 32-bit data port
wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 6 (Ultra/133)
wd0(piixide1:1:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 6 (Ultra/133) (using DMA)

to appear.

I wonder if a BIOS update (one is available) wouldn't be such a
bad idea...

> I would pull the RAID controller and check that X11 works with
> the GENERIC kernel that you already have. You could try the
> DRMKMS kernel at this point too.

I've reinstalled the Radeon card, and using the GENERIC kernel
(i.e. the old DRM code) I'm now happy to report that X11 is up
and running.

The mystery with the twa card remains to be solved.  Maybe I'll
try that after having done the BIOS update.

Regards,

- Håvard