Re: epoll exposure

* On 2023-08-13 at 18:10 BST, Tobias Nygren wrote:

On Sat, 12 Aug 2023 19:21:06 -0400
Christos Zoulas <christos%zoulas.com@localhost> wrote:

I really want to understand what's going on here (why do we think that
our epoll implementation is broken in a way that will affect applications).

jperkin@ might be able to explain what the issues with Illumos are,
but I guess the problems are of different nature than the NetBSD case.

The problem is third-party software assumes epoll == Linux, and once our epoll implementation landed to support LX binaries, a bunch of packages that previously built natively broke.

In hindsight we would have not shipped sys/epoll.h, it provides no benefits, and obviously it's preferable to use native features (event ports in our case, kqueue in yours).

So now I'm stuck with shipping a faked-up epoll.h in my build chroots that #error out forever, and still have to patch up some software that finds it and continues on regardless thinking we're Linux.

Just Say No.

--
Jonathan Perkin            www.perkin.org.uk
github.com/jperkin   federate.me.uk/@jperkin