Re: epoll exposure

1. This was committed to HEAD and not to a release branch. HEAD
    is supposed to contain some experimental features so that we can verify
    that things work correctly. Now that it has been backed out, we'll never know.
2. Nobody has given an example of an application that breaks, or answered
    the question if we understand how the Illumos feature is breaking things,
    or even if the Illumos implementation is similar to ours. Theodore mentioned
    that aside from the fork issue, we should be fully compatible. Do we know
    of any applications that open an epoll file descriptor and then fork? Was
    that the reason the the Illumos implementation is failing?
3. We discussed adding epoll as a native syscall in tech-kern and there were
    no objections. It is common courtesy to discuss reversions before taking
    action, specially when things do not appear to be broken. It would have
    taken a minute or so for Nia to write an email and one or two more days
    with epoll(2) exposed would not have harmed anyone. I was under the
    impression that the conversation was still going on.

I really want to understand what's going on here (why do we think that
our epoll implementation is broken in a way that will affect applications).

Best,

christos