Re: -DFANCY in robots(6)

Am 24.06.2022 um 23:35 schrieb Charlotte Koch:
Hiya,

My inclination is to remove all code from robots(6) that is guarded
inside "#ifdef FANCY" -- because it isn't defined at all in the code nor
the Makefile. And "FANCY" doesn't seem to have any meaning in e.g.
curses, either.

That led me to investigate where -DFANCY even came from in the first
place. I found PR #5832 where apparently we supported -DFANCY for...
Linux? Also see src/games/robots/move.c r1.7 and r1.9.

There is https://packages.debian.org/en/sid/bsdgames, it has last been
updated around 10 years ago, its README claims it follows
NetBSD-current. I don't know who the upstream maintainer is. I thought
the BSD games were included in pkgsrc, but they aren't.

I don't understand what the story is, here. It seems the goal was to
make sure the Linux version of our games was... identical to the one
that we maintain in src? Even though we don't use it? What?

Another example for a NetBSD program that is exported elsewhere is
usr.bin/make. Simon distributes it via
https://www.crufty.net/help/sjg/bmake.html, keeping usr.bin/make and his
bmake distribution as similar as possible.

A few weeks ago, I added mouse support for gomoku(6), even though NetBSD
10 does not yet support it. I tested it with ncurses and via SSH, it
worked fine, and whenever NetBSD's curses implements mouse support, it
will work there as well.

In summary, some of the NetBSD code also runs on other platforms.

Roland