Re: ZFS - mounting filesystems (Was CVS commit: src/etc)

Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> writes:

> Brad Spencer <brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost> writes:
>
>> The point is that by need /usr/sources has to be realized in the system
>> after / and /usr are available and right now those can't be a ZFS pool
>> themselves (well, /usr COULD be, but I can't really see how / could).
>> This, at least in my opinion, is not a complicated nor unusual use
>> case.  However, if it were possible for / and /usr to be a ZFS fileset
>> or pool then the requirements change a bit.
>
> I think you have argued that it is necessary to sort filesystems
> topologically, but you left out the patch :-)

Well... right now I will claim a medical exception, as one should not
drive while taking certain medication, one should probably not use cvs
either....  (no coding while drunk, perhaps, is another way to think
about it) :-)

> But seriously, I think tsorting the filesystems is necessary, and then
> there's putting filesystems into one of
>
>   required
>   optional
>
> and then some sort of label for
>
>   before-starting-networking
>   after-networking-before-daemons
>
> and so on.

Ya, that is mostly what I would suspect is desirable if you mean sorting
by type.  The real world problem I see, however, is figuring out what
the type is.  Failing to do that means making a hard choice..  in a
practical sense it probably means sorting such that ZFS is first and
then Not-ZFS or the other way around.

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org