Re: recent terminfo changes

> On Mar 29, 2020, at 9:42 PM, Roy Marples <roy%marples.name@localhost> wrote:
>
> On 30/03/2020 02:19, Christos Zoulas wrote:
>> The terminfo database before I cleaned it up was a mess. There was
>> no build process, or explanation how to import it, or what the local
>> changes where.
>
> When I imported it there were no local changes, as such nothing to document other than whence it came and I believe that is self documented.
>
> Any changes I have made were submitted upstream.
> Have you submitted your cleanups upstream or do we need to de-tangle them from the next import?

There is a vendor branch now so the local changes will be merged in the next import.
Whoever "imported" for the first time just cvs added it and committed instead of importing.

>> It also took 4 months before we discovered the
>> uint16_t field overflow. I didn't even know that there was a 16 bit
>> limitation, so I could not have figured it out.
>
> Versioning, layout and limitations described here:
> https://nxr.netbsd.org/xref/src/lib/libterminfo/term_private.h?r=1.1#39
> You must have read that to be able to propose and make the changes.

I still would not have looked or found the field overflow visualy.

>> I tested my changes (and tetris seemed to work but with different colors).
>> But without unit-tests or a test procedure it is impossible to check all cases.
>> In fact I introduced a bug Andreas found in sysinst for using the wrong variable.
>
> I *asked* you to test screen-256colour because that is why I introdued a new record type, to ensure that any database merges don't break anything just recently fixed.
> It should not be that hard to compare the compiled output from infocmp with the terminfo description for large numbers.
>
> My personal test procedure is to take infocmp -1 output from netbsd and ncurses and run them through diff for all the terminals. They should be identical and were when I last imported.
> This can be scripted, but AFAIK we can't hook pkgsrc into the unit tests.

Ok. Why do we need pkgsrc here? Can't we fix our infocmp?

christos