Re: Solving the syslogd problem

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 10:47:51PM +0100, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
> On 29.01.2020 22:32, Alexander Nasonov wrote:
> > Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> >> This is elegant and I would like to see it.  Just remove /usr entirely and
> >> collapse its contents into / - no /usr/bin, no /usr/lib, etc.
> >
> > I like it when fsck doesn't take ages to check /. With bigger /,
> > it's going to be problematic.
> >

> There is an obvious radical complementary proposal to discuss whether to
> diverge from the BSD spirit and remove everything unless really needed
> from the basesystem (toolchain) and rely on pkgsrc for everything else
> (ssh, ldap, xorg, tmux, bind, openssl etc).

Pkgsrc in general does not support cross-compilation.

This is one big argument to have X11 native. The same, IMHO, goes for
fundamental basics like nowadays ssh etc.

NetBSD is multi-arch and easy cross-compilation is becoming more and more useful with
the ubiquity of ARM and the rise of RISCV.
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/