merging /usr/bin etc. to / (was: Solving the syslogd problem)

> This is elegant and I would like to see it.  Just remove /usr entirely and
> collapse its contents into / - no /usr/bin, no /usr/lib, etc.
This thread started because syslogd lives in /usr, mounting of /usr
depends on NETWORK, and so network daemons are unable to log to syslog
(at least in the beginning).

I guess mounting /usr depends on NETWORK for a reaseon, that reason
most probably being to make it network-mountable.

So if you move /usr (or /usr/bin etc.) to /, you lose the ability to
have the contents of /usr/bin etc. reside on the network. You could
just as well decide that /usr must be a local filesystem, no?