Re: Solving the syslogd problem

On 29.01.2020 22:32, Alexander Nasonov wrote:
> Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>>>
>>> We could also do a much simpler and more radical decision and stop
>>> splitting / and /usr. Of all the partitioning choices available, it
>>> truely seems to be a pointless legacy from extremely constrained
>>> hardware with a significant cost to maintain.
>>
>> This is elegant and I would like to see it.  Just remove /usr entirely and
>> collapse its contents into / - no /usr/bin, no /usr/lib, etc.
>
> I like it when fsck doesn't take ages to check /. With bigger /,
> it's going to be problematic.

There is an obvious radical complementary proposal to discuss whether to
diverge from the BSD spirit and remove everything unless really needed
from the basesystem (toolchain) and rely on pkgsrc for everything else
(ssh, ldap, xorg, tmux, bind, openssl etc).

For someone who came from the Linux background this is what I am
accustomed to.