Re: Providing access to USB devices

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 10:41:01AM +0200, Pierre Pronchery wrote:
> Would it make sense to create a _usb group, and setting the permissions
> of /dev/ugen* and maybe also /dev/usb* to mode 0660 root:_usb?
>
> With this we should also be able to run services like pcscd (from
> pkgsrc) without requiring root.

We had some discussion about this some time ago in the context of usb
scanners. Alternatives propsoed where the GiveConsole/TakeConsole
scripts used by X login managers and a script that matches certain
devices.

An alterntive Jared suggested was to add console users temporarily to a
dynamic group. I like this idea.

And I bet Jason would now chime in and talk about a aproper devfs ;-)

Martin