Re: Providing access to USB devices

On Sep 20, 10:49am, Martin Husemann wrote:
} On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 10:41:01AM +0200, Pierre Pronchery wrote:
} > Would it make sense to create a _usb group, and setting the permissions
} > of /dev/ugen* and maybe also /dev/usb* to mode 0660 root:_usb?
} >
} > With this we should also be able to run services like pcscd (from
} > pkgsrc) without requiring root.
}
} We had some discussion about this some time ago in the context of usb
} scanners. Alternatives propsoed where the GiveConsole/TakeConsole
} scripts used by X login managers and a script that matches certain
} devices.
}
} An alterntive Jared suggested was to add console users temporarily to a
} dynamic group. I like this idea.
}
} And I bet Jason would now chime in and talk about a aproper devfs ;-)

     I don't know to which Jason you are referring, but I will
chime in support of this idea.  I've often thought about going back
and pulling the archives of the discussion around mjf-devfs and
seeing if there is any useful code.  Pointers to the early days of
devfs in FreeBSD would also be welcome.  What I don't want is the
Solaris idea of "devfs" which was nothing but a symlink farm and
caused massive headaches.

}-- End of excerpt from Martin Husemann