Re: UTF-8 capable fmt(1)

On Sat, Jan 09, 2016 at 07:31:50PM +0100, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
> > ...and of course, they are mixing stupid things with not
> > understanding things. Narrowing i18n support down to Unicode is
> > still not a valid approach and ignorant. We should investigate how
> > to make wchar_t locale independent. That's not the same as making
> > wchar_t UCS4. Doing that is part of the necessary libc work.
> >

> Please list necessary steps to make it work properly.

wchar_t can should be a 32bit signed integer. All Unicode code points
can be mapped 1:1, but input that can't be uniquely mapped can go into a
private range, starting from 1<<21. Investigating which parts of the
existing locales can be mapped is the first point, adjusting the
transformations accordingly.

Joerg