Re: NetBSD volunteering (WiFi browser, NPF Web UI)

On 18/05/2015 14:56, Roy Marples wrote:
> On 18/05/2015 12:22, Pierre Pronchery wrote:
>>>
>>> Just added one to the project page:
>>> http://roy.marples.name/projects/dhcpcd-ui/home
>>>
>>> Sadly on my iwn(4) interface wpa_supplicant doesn't show anything useful
>>> with the signal strength which is why they are all at max.
>>
>> Have you tried this patch from jakllsch?
>> http://git.edgebsd.org/gitweb/?p=edgebsd-src.git;a=commitdiff;h=9e6eccb2f22dfe2c2b202ddf7df13b19566ff8d6
>>
>> http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/external/bsd/wpa/dist/src/drivers/driver_bsd.c.diff?r1=1.8&r2=1.9&f=h
>
> The laptop is running a very recent -current, so yes.
> The numbers returned range from 85, which is hardly reachable from my
> windows pc sat next to the laptop up to 106 where the AP is just next
> door and windows gives that 5 bars.
>
> My code which handles the numbers is similar to other wifi strength
> meters - if <0 then assume dBM and convert to a percentage otherwise
> assume the number IS a percentage. As it's over 100 we can assume the
> number returned is neither a percentage nor a dBM value - what should we
> do then?
>
> My other laptop uses a iwi(4) interface which showed much better signals
> on NetBSD, but sadly the laptop itself is pretty non functional atm.

A quick look at our sources shows that rssi is uint8_t whereas it should
be int8_t.
Looking into the iwn driver itself, it thinks that rssi should be dBm,
and right away wpa_supplicant now reports -22 (my strong AP) to -40 the
weakest AP after making the above change. But those numbers should be
around -55 to -90 instead. So while it's better, it's still far from
correct.

Roy