Re: Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) and NetBSD

On 5/10/11 3:42 PM, Aleksej Saushev wrote:

Honestly, I don't understand what you might want to expect here.
You're coming into community with long-established file hierarchy
standard and propose to elaborate file hierarchy standard.
This alone sounds stupid. At best, you're going to hear replies like
"we've been doing it this way for decades before you came."

We already had a similar conversation a while ago regarding mk.conf: the current status of particular parts of NetBSD isn't the way it is due to a perfect initial design. Some of the most ancient parts (like hier(7)) have been iteratively developed and suffered many years of evolution, sometimes without much thought up-front. Arguably, some of the decisions taken have been mistakes and it would be nice to amend them.