Re: cp -n diff

Marc Balmer <mbalmer%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> Am 05.05.11 12:50, schrieb Jukka Ruohonen:
>> On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 12:23:57PM +0200, Marc Balmer wrote:
>>> I fully agree and I am all for the removal of -l
>>> Please before it makes it into a release....
>>
>> You are funny. By the way, where are the promised use cases of Lua or
>> perhaps it should be removed too before it makes into a release?
>
> Lua has nothing to do with poisoning POSIX commands with dubious options.

POSIX doesn't mandate you're not allowed to create extensions.

From usability perspective, I don't understand why anyone in his right mind
should learn some cryptic command to copy files. It isn't clear why anyone
has to write his own tool or maintain his own "cp" modifications, if one wants
to copy files not the way it is supported by stock "cp".

From POSIX perspective extending system by adding another flag to "cp"
and adding another library do not differ. Both are not standard, yet
both are allowed.

And it isn't clear why Lua is exempt; it is the same system interface,
just like regex(3) or gethostbyname(3).

--
HE CE3OH...