Re: Rumpification (was Re: CVS commit: src/usr.sbin/envstat)

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 01:03:26AM +0200, Antti Kantee wrote:
 > > You're basically telling people "go educate yourself about why this code
 > > you find strange and ugly actually isn't".  It seems to me it would be
 > > much more appropriate for you, instead, to make a somewhat more complete
 > > effort to educate us, rather than telling us to go figure it out for
 > > ourselves.
 >
 > No, I'm asking you to establish a vocabulary.  If I'm going to start
 > talking swedish to you, I need to know if I should start from "hej"
 > or move on to slightly more complicated communication.
 > [...]

Based on what you've written so far, the assorted complications in
your project, the fact that you're immersed in it and nobody else is,
and furthermore having been on the other side of a similar situation
not that long ago, I'd say you'd better start from "hej".

 > Everyone has had several years to be curious about the slowly developing
 > project goals and unique architecture, so it's quite laughable that the
 > triggering event is changing "ioctl()" to "prog_ioctl()" and claiming
 > there will be certainly be unsurmountable problems (although current
 > empirical data suggests otherwise).  nb. I'm sure there will be minor
 > problems, like the dd one christos pointed out.  fixed & moving on.

The triggering event is making a large mess outside of rump-specific
portions of the tree...

 > As I already said, I'd love to explain things and I tried somewhat.
 > You didn't come with specific questions, so I assume you understood and
 > agreed with what I explained.

I don't think anyone understands enough to ask specific questions. For
example, apparently what I wrote earlier was entirely wrong. Since you
didn't explain how, I'm left at standstill.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost