Re: Rumpification (was Re: CVS commit: src/usr.sbin/envstat)

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 12:35:46AM +0200, Antti Kantee wrote:

> Did you read the webpage and/or manpages?  Unless people do that *and*
> throw away any invalid based on guesses, we're not going to get anywhere.
> Luckily, we'll at least be left with working code.

You're the one making the stream of changes that -- as far as I can tell --
most other people find, at least at first encounter, rather strange and
ugly.

You say they're necessary.  That's fine; maybe they are.  But it seems
to me the onus is properly on you to produce a complete, self-contained
explanation, with adequate context, of the "big picture" of why.  Though
reading all of the rump documentation is a reasonable goal, and I'm
willing to try to do it (re-do it, for much of it; but it's been a
while), you should be able to explain in a broad way the necessity for
what you say is necessary without telling people to RTFM.

You're basically telling people "go educate yourself about why this code
you find strange and ugly actually isn't".  It seems to me it would be
much more appropriate for you, instead, to make a somewhat more complete
effort to educate us, rather than telling us to go figure it out for
ourselves.

Thor