Re: Rumpification (was Re: CVS commit: src/usr.sbin/envstat)

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 03:24:49PM +0200, Antti Kantee wrote:
> On Tue Dec 14 2010 at 08:13:44 -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes.  It's not really a very difficult rule.  I can understand the "I
> > > forgot" vector, though.  I seriously doubt it'll be a problem, but just
> > > in case, see below.
> >
> > I have to say, this is extraordinarily ugly.  Why can't you make a rump
> > libc instead that shims these symbols?
>
> Well I could, but since it doesn't work, I won't.  For example, how does
> a shim know what to call when it gets socket(PF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, 0)?

It is impossible to determine at runtime which calls should go to the host
kernel and which calls should go to rump?

Some level of uglification in the name of rump has to be too much.  This
really can't be cleaned up somehow that doesn't require host_X and rump_Y
all over the tree?

Thor