Re: tn3270, mset and map3270

On 01/03/2010 11:13, Michal Suchanek wrote:
Both termcap(3) and terminfo(3) calls return data from the terminfo
database. As every program pass this to tgoto(3) for termcap, or tputs(3)
for terminfo the diagram goes like this

terminfo programs:
terminfo database ---->  program

termcap programs:
terminfo database ---->  program

And how does the TERMCAP environment variable fit into the scheme

I'm all for progress but to me it still seems the time has not come
yet to ditch this feature which is portable and widely used by
programs that implement non-standard terminals like screen or
rxvt-unicode.

$TERMCAP isn't as portable as you would like to think.
It does nothing on a handful of various popular Linux distros I have around.

Once you've gotten that, did you bother to read the terminfo(5) man page about fetching terminfo descriptions? I'm guessing you haven't as it clearly describes where $TERMCAP fits in and the limitations of it.

Thanks

Roy