Re: tn3270, mset and map3270

On 1 March 2010 12:26, Roy Marples <roy%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
> On 01/03/2010 11:13, Michal Suchanek wrote:
>>>
>>> Both termcap(3) and terminfo(3) calls return data from the terminfo
>>> database. As every program pass this to tgoto(3) for termcap, or tputs(3)
>>> for terminfo the diagram goes like this
>>>
>>> terminfo programs:
>>> terminfo database ----> Âprogram
>>>
>>> termcap programs:
>>> terminfo database ----> Âprogram
>>>

>> And how does the TERMCAP environment variable fit into the scheme
>>
>> I'm all for progress but to me it still seems the time has not come
>> yet to ditch this feature which is portable and widely used by
>> programs that implement non-standard terminals like screen or
>> rxvt-unicode.
>
> $TERMCAP isn't as portable as you would like to think.
> It does nothing on a handful of various popular Linux distros I have around.

It does not mean I cannot complain when I need it and it does not work ;-)

Many Linux distros also have other miscellaneous breakage.

> Once you've gotten that, did you bother to read the terminfo(5) man page
> about fetching terminfo descriptions? I'm guessing you haven't as it clearly
> describes where $TERMCAP fits in and the limitations of it.

Since it has been discussed here and it was not clear how it fits I am asking.

http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?terminfo+5+NetBSD-current

does not mention TERMCAP anywhere I could find.

Thanks

Michal