Re: Introducing the patchadd binary patch toolchain

Elad Efrat <elad%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:
> One solution would be to agree that because we can't cover all cases
> with custom kernels, or have the means to "measure" to what extent a
> custom kernel can be patched (because this is subject to the custom
> features used and the patch itself), we ship complete replacements
> (say, GENERIC) people can use in the mean time. You could say, "but
> what about those where who *run* GENERIC? we can ship patches to them"
> -- and then we need to discuss whether we truly prefer patches over
> simple replacements, or want them in addition.

Another solution would perhaps be to revive the discussion about having
a config file that configures the kernel at boot time, thereby reducing
users' need to build custom kernels. AFAIR there was a working implemen-
tation.

Regards,

--
Dennis den Brok