Re: Adding a simple editor to the base system

abs%NetBSD.org@localhost (David Brownlee) writes:

>On Tue, 10 Feb 2009, Adam Hoka wrote:

>> Antti Kantee wrote:
>>
>>> I'd also suggest making it the default EDITOR/VISUAL.  If you're an
>>> experienced user, you know how to make vi your default again.

I think this is a bad idea to do generally. I would instead propose to
use the skel_dir feature of useradd, and pre-populate it with settings
appropriate for different kinds of users, so that you'd eg get:

/etc/skel/novice (EDITOR=easyedit, friendly aliases etc)
/etc/skel/normal (the defaults)
/etc/skel/minimal (may be empty)

The -desktop install might want to use novice templates for the initially
created user then, plus on actual multi-user systems the admin gets
pre-cooked settings their newbie users can start out with.

BTW, an interactive mode for useradd would be nice (all raise a hand
who wrote themselves a wrapper :).

>> Please stop thinking that inexperienced users are total idiots. :-)

>       I don't, but do you think an inexperienced user should be
>       stuck leaning how to use vi, or move onto how to configure
>       rc.conf and setup a wireless network?

I would hope the install procedure had led the user through that already,
because even learning about which files to edit (and how) is not entirely
trivial.

regards,
        spz
--