Re: Adding a simple editor to the base system

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Mindaugas Rasiukevicius wrote:

Andrew Doran <ad%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 11:22:47PM +0000, Mindaugas Rasiukevicius wrote:

It is understandable that for new users vi might be hard. However, since
there is a Desktop NetBSD project now, why newbie would want to pick
NetBSD mini,

user:

- may not have picked anything
- may not want to learn
- may not use a PC
- may not use pkgsrc
- etc etc

It is up to the user what it wants to do with the system. Minimalistic system
tends to live good both with "may" and "may not". I think "base system" has a
reason why it is called "base". :)

        Yes, but we're also no longer in 1980. Maybe we should throw out
        all the programs which have been added since NetBSD 1.0? Certainly
        we can remove command line editing from sh & ksh.

        I'm afraid people seem to fall into several groups on this:

            1) Do not want it added to base
            2) Really don't care
            3) Do want it added to base
            3a) New (and some existing) users who would benefit from it

        The majority of people appear to be in 2). There are quite
        a few vocal people in both 1) & 3) who are absolutely
        convinced of ther point of view and do not seem inclined
        to change. Its fortunate that at least some of them wete
        actually willing to listen to the other side and articulate
        their reasoning, but I feel we have reached an impasse.

        I think the best course now may be to pass this to core so
        they can make a ruling one way or the other and we can stop
        this thread taking even more time from doing something
        directly useful to NetBSD.