Re: "Fixing" new ld(1) DT_NEEDED handling

On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 06:30:57PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
 > Now imagine I (binary) update my shared library (but not the client program)
 > and internally have rearanged things, so exp2 is now implemented in
 > libmysublib3.so.

Once you do this, if you're using ELF, by default you lose. The rest
is just rearranging the deck chairs.

I'm not convinced that the new behavior is right, but I'm also not
convinced that it's any more wrong than the previous behavior. The
real issue we need to think about is this: because gnu ld is the
implementation almost everyone uses, this change in behavior is de
facto a change in the standard behavior. Right now, adopting it will
require a lot of patching in pkgsrc; but if we don't go along,
eventually *not* adopting it will require a lot of patching in pkgsrc
too.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost