Re: updating a piece of the running system from build.sh is too hard

> There are limitations to the DESTDIR=/ installs of course -- if the
> build.sh products also include new/different shared libraries, (and you
> don't static-link as I usually do), then all kinds of things can go
> wrong.

Sorry, but I have to say yours is not working. :)

My point is that we should have the *single* official way to install / update.

What is the official way to install / update now?  sysinst(8) + postinstall(8).
"build.sh install DESTDIR=/" should never been official.  It may work for those
who know what they're doing (like people discussing things here), but should
never been recommended as an official way.

Do we remember that yancm@ reported that build.sh install didn't work because
we have to update boot block?

Do we want to introduce a new install knob only for limited skillful users,
while ignoring real end users?  Who maintains those random combinations of
those newly added install methods?

Masao

--
Masao Uebayashi / Tombi Inc. / Tel: +81-90-9141-4635