Re: updating a piece of the running system from build.sh is too hard

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 01:36:44PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
 > > I think that it would be useful to have a simple way of telling
 > > ${TOOLDIR}/bin/nbmake-${MACHINE} to install as if MKUNPRIVED had not
 > > been set at the time the wrapper was created.  I haven't thought enough
 > > about how to do that.
 >
 > "sudo nbmake-$arch DESTDIR=/ MKUNPRIVED=no install" seems to do exactly
 > this but I'm not 100% certain.  I propose
 >
 >   sudo nbmake-$arch live-install
 >
 > to be an equivalent shortcut.

ISTM (if we're talking about rearranging stuff) that this should be
"install", and the install that goes into $OBJ/destdir.$ARCH/...
should be called something else, like stage-install or install-staging
or whatnot.

That is, we may as well admit that (like pkgsrc) we have two
installation trees, one used during the build and one that the
completed build is dropped into later.

A full build should always build into the local destdir (and IMO it
should always use METALOG, but that's a separate discussion) and not
touch the ultimate destdir (which is usually /) until its final
install phase. However, if I manually do 'make && make install'
somewhere it normally means I want to install directly into the
ultimate destdir.

Our build system is way too complicated and doesn't need 7/8 of the
combinations it supports.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost