Re: updating a piece of the running system from build.sh is too hard

> ISTM (if we're talking about rearranging stuff) that this should be
> "install", and the install that goes into $OBJ/destdir.$ARCH/...
> should be called something else, like stage-install or install-staging
> or whatnot.
>
> That is, we may as well admit that (like pkgsrc) we have two
> installation trees, one used during the build and one that the
> completed build is dropped into later.

Understood, but I'm looking forward more; syspkgs.  If we always create
packages from the staged (dest)dir and install them via pkg_install(8), we
can concentrate installation path in single point; we use the same method to
install NetBSD in sysinst(8), line install, or embedded target image creation.
This is a huge win.

> Our build system is way too complicated and doesn't need 7/8 of the
> combinations it supports.

Fully agreed.  If we could agree that the current design is complicated and
should be simplified to improve further, only that we agree, that'd be a BIG
one step forward...

Masao

--
Masao Uebayashi / Tombi Inc. / Tel: +81-90-9141-4635