Re: Sets, subsets, syspkgs, and MK*

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 01:24:27AM +0900, Masao Uebayashi wrote:
> > So, let me get this right.  You're building your own binary distribution
> > of NetBSD, and your own binary patches.  And still you want to inflict a
> > lot of work to TNF and its members so that you can check that the binary
> > patches you produced are bit-identical to the one TNF produced?
>
> Not a lot of work if once done right.

Famous last words.

[...]
> > > We all know binary distribution is restrictive.
> >
> > Yes.  So why complicate things?
>
> I'm not saying like that.  At least that's not my intention.
>
> Do you think doing s/.if ${USE_YP} != "no// in lib/libc/Makefile & adjusting
> set lists complicates things?

Up until now, any MK/USE setting different that the canonical one have
been a courtesy of the source tree of NetBSD.  People fix things when
they can, but no other set of values other than the canonical one have
really been maintained, because of the very complex inter-dependencies.

What you propose essentially means maintaining about any combination of
those MK/USE settings.  So yes, it is complicating, and even done right,
I'm sure it will turn out to be a lot of work, and unfortunately, not
just for you.

A lot of people along the years have expressed interest in having
other set of values properly maintained, so it's nothing new.  Your
idea of putting those settings on binary boundaries is interesting,
though.  (It looks like that's what you're pitching from the beginning;
obviously I'm not the only one who was very unclear about your actual
intent with this thread.)

But a lot of work has been done lately to get reproducible builds, which
is actually what makes binary patch creation possible no matter how you
slice up the system, and what we need *now* is a way to deliver the
patches, not adding a whole new set of things to maintain in our source
tree.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost