Re: Making syspkgs and makefs play nice together

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 02:52:43PM +1200, Lloyd Parkes wrote:
> On Mon, 11 May 2009, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > As long as there are no explicit @owner/@group entries, this should work
> > out of the box. Please be more specific if you hit issues.
>
> syspkgs has a slightly different landscape than pkgsrc and it should be
> making
> lots of use of @owner/@group. IMHO all syspkgs PLISTs should start with an
> explicit @owner/@group because the packaging system doesn't seem to guarantee
> what the default ownerships are.

pkg_create will assign them to root as default. pkg_add will extract
permissions as well if running as root. Please do not use @owner/@group
unless really necessary.

> > This does not cover specific permissions (setuid/setgid), I think.
>
> Yes. /sbin/shutdown is 4555 root:operator, and I need to make sure that I
> know
> this and that I only try using this information when running makefs and not
> pkg_add.

Why? What exactly are you trying to solve?

> The work I'm doing is intended to use the packaging system in new ways, so a
> few things will get uncovered. pkg_add sets +CONTENTS to read-only and then
> tries to write to it. This works fine as root, but ... That's one I'm just
> going to PR without discussing as soon as I have a patch.

pkg_add never tries to write +CONTENTS after the initial opening.
Creating a file with permissions 0444 for write works fine as normal
user.

You might really want to use the pkg_install from current -- it works
completely different in a number of important areas and all patches for
the old version that don't apply to the new will be rejected without
further discussion. YHBW.

Joerg