Re: Making syspkgs and makefs play nice together

On Mon, 11 May 2009, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> As long as there are no explicit @owner/@group entries, this should work
> out of the box. Please be more specific if you hit issues.

syspkgs has a slightly different landscape than pkgsrc and it should be making
lots of use of @owner/@group. IMHO all syspkgs PLISTs should start with an
explicit @owner/@group because the packaging system doesn't seem to guarantee
what the default ownerships are.

> This does not cover specific permissions (setuid/setgid), I think.

Yes. /sbin/shutdown is 4555 root:operator, and I need to make sure that I know
this and that I only try using this information when running makefs and not
pkg_add.

The work I'm doing is intended to use the packaging system in new ways, so a
few things will get uncovered. pkg_add sets +CONTENTS to read-only and then
tries to write to it. This works fine as root, but ... That's one I'm just
going to PR without discussing as soon as I have a patch.

> @pkgdir is in -current and will be pulled up to netbsd-5 soon.

Cool.

> If there are any
> non-directory/non-file entries, please report this as well, I might be
> inclined to add support for them at some point as well.

There probably aren't any at the moment, but that isn't going to stop me
wanting to add some ;-) I'm quite keen on using device nodes, but I figure I
can work around it if pkg_create doesn't support them.

Cheers,
Lloyd