Re: fully supporting static linking in NetBSD (ar "zero" flag)

On 17-Aug-08, at 2:44 PM, Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. wrote:

The BSD Authentication framework, with full native privilege separation by design.

Which reminds me of another solution for runtime loadable support for I18N issues which would not require dynamic loading of native executable object code....

If I'm not mistaken it should be relatively easy to design a little language, or language family, suitable for implementing all of the mechanisms needed full I18N support. This language probably does not have to be turing-complete either. It could provide for all the needs currently implemented using function pointers (and optionally also with dynamic loaded modules) in the current CITRUS code. As such it would allow for runtime addition of new I18N modules into static- linked applications, and such modules would be far more portable than ones written in C and which must currently be compiled to exactly match both kernel and libc ABIs for all platforms.

--
                                        Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
                                        <woods%planix.ca@localhost>