Re: The essential problems of moving from CVS

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 06:04:19PM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jan 2010, Thomas Adam wrote:
> > > individual changesets are cherry-picked from -current to
> > > branches all the time, and it would be good to have a repository
> > > visualisation tool that could show which changes have or have not
> > > been merged.
> >
> > gitk?
>
> gitk works reasonably well when the head of a branch is merged
> to another branch, but I don't know any way to make gitk display
> cherry-picked merges.  Instead of the line that gitk draws from a commit

That's going to be tricky because when you cherry-pick you get a completely
*new* commit.  "git patch-id" should be able to tell you if two different
commits are effectively the same.

> on the source branch to a commit on the target branch (to mean that all
> changes in the source branch as of that instant in history have been
> merged to the target branch), I'd like to see a line from a chageset
> on the source branch to a commit on the target branch (to mean that
> a particular changeset has been merged from the source branch to the
> target branch).

I think what you're describing here is the operation that "git cherry"
provides, but there's no provision for such a thing in gitk.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"It was the cruelest game I've ever played and it's played inside my head."
-- "Hush The Warmth", Gorky's Zygotic Mynci.