Re: The essential problems of moving from CVS

On 2010-01-14 20:25 +0000 (Thu), Thomas Adam wrote:

> I can certainly help answer the question of developer workflow....

Ah, well, I didn't clearly state what I think we need here. Your answer,
while good, re-iterates general information that's widely available, so
I don't think we need to do a lot of work on that part.

My conception (which I admit is a bit vague) is that we need a
presentation to the developers that covers not the generic usage of git
(which many people already know, and for which we can give references
to already-existing documentation), but which discusses and sells the
changes we'd be making in the particular context of NetBSD development.

Perhaps you can think of it as saying:

    * what features we'd gain, and why this is something that NetBSD
    developers want,

    * what we'd have to change, and why this won't be too painful for
    NetBSD developers (and why the pain is worth it, where it is painful),

    * what we'd lose, and why it's worth paying that cost.

Particular Git features I can think of that I think most developers
would agree would be big wins are:

    * much, much better branch maintenance support, particularly for
    multiple merges from one branch to another;

    * easier development by and integration of patches from people
    without a commit-bit;

    * PGP-signing of tags;

    * easier and more reliable distribution and backup of the repo;

    * and whatever else you can think of.

The branch maintenance one is huge because we spend a lot of effort on
dealing with merging things between branches in release engineering.

That said, a lot of the work is not going to be in coming up with this
NetBSD-centric document selling the change, but handling the huge number
of objections you're going to get when bringing up the discussion.
You're going to need to understand the NetBSD culture very well, have a
very thick skin, be prepared to suck up very hard to some of the most
annoying and hostile developers, be prepared to handle several people
trying to subvert you for no apparent reason, keep track of every last
detail, and do this for months without getting frustrated to the point
of flaming anyone.

You've seen the level of objections and hostility we have on this list.
This is the list that's *supportive* of the idea.

Anyway, don't let me discourage you. :-) Good luck!

cjs
--
Curt Sampson         <cjs%cynic.net@localhost>         +81 90 7737 2974
             http://www.starling-software.com