Re: The essential problems of moving from CVS

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010, Thomas Adam wrote:
> > individual changesets are cherry-picked from -current to
> > branches all the time, and it would be good to have a repository
> > visualisation tool that could show which changes have or have not
> > been merged.
>
> gitk?

gitk works reasonably well when the head of a branch is merged
to another branch, but I don't know any way to make gitk display
cherry-picked merges.  Instead of the line that gitk draws from a commit
on the source branch to a commit on the target branch (to mean that all
changes in the source branch as of that instant in history have been
merged to the target branch), I'd like to see a line from a chageset
on the source branch to a commit on the target branch (to mean that
a particular changeset has been merged from the source branch to the
target branch).

For example, in the diagram below, A-B-C-D represents development of
the source branch (e.g. NetBSD-current), A-E-F-G repesents development
of the target branch (e.g. netbsd-5), and commit "F" incorporates the
changes between B and C, but does not incorporate the changes between A
and B; the line from the midpoint of BC to F is intended to represent a
cherry-picking merge operation.

   ----A------B------C------D [source branch]
          E-------------F----G [target branch]

--apb (Alan Barrett)