Re: The essential problems of moving from CVS

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 08:39:17PM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 01:17:47AM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
>  > And anyway, I'm not even clear as to what the point (or points) are
>  > of partial checkouts, as I'm only imagining use cases rather than
>  > knowing about real ones.
>
> The primary point is either to reduce disk usage or reduce the amount
> of time taken by SCM ops.
>
> git is a lot faster than cvs, but on a tree the size of netbsd or
> pkgsrc any operation that has to scan the entire working copy takes
> long enough to be annoying, even on a fast machine with plenty of RAM.
> And more such scans happen than do when using cvs.

No, this just isn't true.  Git walks the DAG, sure, but it typically only
ever needs to look at one or two parents for most operations.

I've said before, I think, that "git gc" might be the way to go if you think
things are slow, but what are you doing where things are slowing for you?
If you're not as you're thinking subtrees is somehow going to make things
faster because it's completely self-contained to one or two directories,
that's also sadly mistaken.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"It was the cruelest game I've ever played and it's played inside my head."
-- "Hush The Warmth", Gorky's Zygotic Mynci.