Re: The essential problems of moving from CVS

On 2010-01-16 13:40 +0000 (Sat), Thomas Adam wrote:

> Can you please look at the nd/sparse branch -- according the latest round of
> "What's Cooking in Git" emails, that code has graduated to master.
> Honestly, this stuff does exist.

Ok, I found some of the information on sparse working
copies in Documentation/git-read-tree.txt (though not
Documentation/git-config.txt). Somehow I missed it in my last search.

However I note that it appears to apply to working copies only: not to
the object store. Thus, even if your working copy is only a small part
of the whole working copy, it appears as if you'd still end up with
an object store containing the entire repo, unless you used alternate
methods to deal with that. Does this seem incorrect to you?

> ...although this discussion should surely be deferred for now?

Well this falls straight into the "going to have to sell a compromise"
area to my mind. And anyway, I'm not even clear as to what the point (or
points) are of partial checkouts, as I'm only imagining use cases rather
than knowing about real ones. Those use cases for subtree checkouts are
probably the something we should get on to the wiki....

cjs
--
Curt Sampson         <cjs%cynic.net@localhost>         +81 90 7737 2974
             http://www.starling-software.com