Re: The essential problems of moving from CVS

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 12:21:31PM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
> On 2010-01-16 01:32 +0000 (Sat), Thomas Adam wrote:

> > > Maybe. Mercurial has new subtree stuff out. It's pretty raw so far,
> > > but it's being worked on and it will probably improve.
> >
> > Subtree support is coming to Git in the way of "sparse checkouts" which has
> > currently graduated to git.git's master branch last I read.
>
> The only sparse checkout support I'm aware of is a project that appears to
> have been abandoned in mid-2008. No code relating to sparse checkouts or
> subtree checkout support has ever made it into the git development repo,
> as far as I can tell. (I just now looked at the lastest version of the master
> branch from git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git.git).

From what's being spoken of in this thread so far, it sounds more like
*submodule* support is what's wanted, but that's not something I would
recommend in lieu of using either separare repositories for things, or
sparse checkouts.  But this is a question that's yet to come up, AFAICT.

> I would not count on ever getting subtree checkout support in git. It
> just doesn't work with git's model.

Can you please look at the nd/sparse branch -- according the latest round of
"What's Cooking in Git" emails, that code has graduated to master.
Honestly, this stuff does exist.

Oh, and having just looked myself, I see indeed that nd/sparse *was* merged
into master.  And looking again, I note there's a section about it in the
man pages for:

git-config

and more importantly:

git-read-tree

I've just played around with it -- it's interesting, and seems to work,
although this discussion should surely be deferred for now?

Until we all stop talking past one another, this is not really getting us
anywhere.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"It was the cruelest game I've ever played and it's played inside my head."
-- "Hush The Warmth", Gorky's Zygotic Mynci.