Re: The essential problems of moving from CVS

Thus wrote Curt Sampson (cjs%NetBSD.org@localhost):

> On 2010-01-13 08:11 +0100 (Wed), S.P.Zeidler wrote:
>
> > At present the 'research' was: "are there tools readily available with
> > which we can do a 'good enough' conversion?" (because it had been claimed
> > that there were lots of tools who would all do the job). The answer to
> > that, in short, is "no".
>
> It appears to me that we do have a pretty good indication, for git,
> anyway, that putting together a "good enough" conversion is a real
> possibility. What problems appear to be insurmountable at this point?

Nothing is insurmountable if you have the time and energy to sit down and
rewrite the tools, but you won't get away with less at present.

The current conversion gets file versions wrong.
This is not "the version string is off one version". This is
"the entire contents of the file don't belong on that branch".

For additional problems and nits: tech-repository gets archived at
http://mail-index.NetBSD.org/tech-repository/

regards,
        spz
--