Re: is the proof in the pudding?

git doesn't handle subtrees, uses hash codes instead of version
numbers,

I think if we can't use githooks to manage CVS version numbers.
We can add hook to git which will change CVS version number of all
changed files after developer will push his changes to main repository.

We can't change version number after commit because that way we will
easily get same version numbers on different branches.

can't check out a tree without cloning the full history

It depends on repo size, if it will be smaller than our current checkout it
is ok to download full history.

Regards

Adam.