Re: grafana hits pkgsrc limits again

* On 2024-07-12 at 02:14 BST, David Holland wrote:

On Thu, Jul 11, 2024 at 01:05:52PM +0100, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> One possible option is that we disable compat mode by default, i.e. remove
> this section of code:
>
>    :
>
> I'll test this in some bulk builds and other ad-hoc testing, but would
> welcome input on why this might be a bad idea in the meantime.

I think it's a bad idea in general(*) but having a way to set it in
the makefile should be sufficient (since things only start being
different once you start running jobs...)

(*) In general there are a lot of legacy makefiles out there, and we
both run a lot of them with bmake in pkgsrc and also have people
running them by hand.

I spent a bit of time yesterday trying it out in a few different scenarios, and unless I contrived a test that ended up with a significant number of separate shell lines, it didn't have any noticeable performance wins, even against a version of pkgsrc prior to my winter 2022 performance work. It's likely that the extra overhead of having to create lots of temporary files more than counteracts any benefits from fewer forks.

So yeh, no point considering this any further.

--
Jonathan Perkin   -   mnx.io   -   pkgsrc.smartos.org
Open Source Complete Cloud   www.tritondatacenter.com