Re: rust update proposal

"wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost" <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> On Sat, Jul 06, 2024 at 09:10:05PM +0000, pin wrote:
>> There are a few difficult cases, though. E.g. cargo-c, this requires 1.77.2 but, quite a few things depend on it. Are we versioning things like cargo-c also?
>
> I have no immediate plans to duplicate more packages (but I'm not
> opposed to it).
>
> We'll see the fallout and then someone with aarch64 knowledge and
> interest will have to work on either the base rust package or the
> breaking packages.

I don't think we can say "it's ok for pkgsrc on aarch64 to be broken".
We'll lose firefox, I think.    Our norms for updates are that when
doing an update, everything still works, or the updater things  they and
others who have volunteered can fix things.

I think it's likely it's just cargo-c, as long as other core things
still work 1.76 (librsvg).  So we should be holding those other things
back until there's a story for at least aarch64.

We have a lot of people who care so it should be feasible to share the
work.

But, as I understand it, you are proposing to add 1.79 and have 1.76,
and that should break nothing.

But we will have to hold updates if they need more than 1.76, without
group consensus to abandon that on aarch64, or work to version them.

It's python all over again!