Re: rust update proposal

-------- Ursprungligt meddelande --------
Den 2024-07-06 19:47, Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> skrev:

>  Hi!
>
>  We're still at rust 1.76, and the current version is 1.79.0.
>
>  As I understand the problem, some of the previously supported NetBSD
>  versions are not supported in 1.77+ any longer.
>
>  I'd like to have a newer rust in pkgsrc because some software already
>  requires it.

Agreed, the freeze is over since a few weeks ago and it's time to take a decision. Firefox already requires Rust >= 1.76, so the edge is near.

>  My proposal:
>
>  - Import (most of) lang/rust as lang/rust176 (to follow the existing
>    naming convention from wip)
>
>  - Update lang/rust to 1.79
>
>  - In lang/rust/buildlink3.mk, add per-platform inclusion logic for
>    using lang/rust176 for those platforms that are not working with
>    1.79 (perhaps checking for RUST_REQ<=1.76 before doing that, and
>    setting BROKEN (or one of the other variables for this) if not).
>
>  - Make sure that packages requiring 1.77+ set RUST_REQ correctly so
>    that we save on bulk build cycles.

The things, I've pushed to wip before holidays already have RUST_REQ, I'll keep adding this to Rust packages when I'm back.

There are a few difficult cases, though. E.g. cargo-c, this requires 1.77.2 but, quite a few things depend on it. Are we versioning things like cargo-c also?

>  What do you think?

Agreed.

/Pedro