Re: pkgsrc breakage with Fedora 40

On Sun, 12 May 2024 at 22:01:18 +0200, Roland Illig wrote:
>Am 12.05.2024 um 21:36 schrieb Benny Siegert:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Fedora 40 comes with gcc 14.0.1. Not sure if it's that or some other
>> change in the distro, but a number of basic pkgsrc packages that used
>> work fine on Fedora 39 now fail to build. As an illustrative example,
>> pkgtools/pkg_install-info fails to find ANSI C libraries:
>>
>> checking for cc option to accept ANSI C... none needed
>> checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
>> checking for egrep... grep -E
>> checking for ANSI C header files... no
>>
>> This is the relevant excerpt from config.log:
>>
>> configure:2622: cc -o conftest -O2  -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib conftest.c >&5
>> conftest.c: In function 'main':
>> conftest.c:26:7: error: implicit declaration of function 'exit'
>> [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
>>     26 |       exit(2);
>>        |       ^~~~
>
>I don't see why this would be an error, as I don't see a
>-Werror=implicit-function-declaration anywhere. What's the actual
>command line of the compiler, according to .work.log, and where does
the
>-Werror get added, if any?

This is because Fedora as of 40 (and current Debian Sid, and probably
others) has enabled that by default with GCC, so it's now leading to
breakage in various packages.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/PortingToModernC#Removal_of_implicit_function_declarations

I can't commment at all on the issue above. The previously reported
issue with libnbcompat takes more time to write than I have tonight, so
I'll respond to that thread tomorrow (unless someone beats me to it).

Regards,

Dave